tkRunIt v0.94.1 - a simple, fast, run dialog box for X
tkRunIt is a run dialog box for X which allows you to execute
commandline without using an xterm. tkRunIt was inspired by Xrun
but is designed to be completely navigable from the keyboard and
to allow extreme customizablility as I often find that personal
workspace tools/shortcuts are seldom workflow compatible across users.
Please see the README for configuration details.
- filename completion
- variable name completion
- command history
- on-the-fly toggleable verbose mode for reporting output
and interactive choosing between ambiguous file patterns
- wildcards for internal filename completion as well as
- high-speed keymappings (IMO)
- customizable keymappings in the works
- multiple command execution and pipe support
- cd handled internally as in a regular shell
- synchronous, asynchronous, and persistent operation
- (2/16/99) 0.94.1 posted - removed overlooked debugging line which causes a stack trace when stdout is not inherited
- (2/15/99) 0.94 posted. Added autokill option, fixed history and mouseloc bugs (hopefully), improved history displaying behavior, added bindings.
- (2/5/99) 0.92 posted. Better output widget behavior, label properly updates now (I forgot about it...), mouseloc option to pop the window up under the mouse
- (1/26/99) 0.90: squashed some aesthetic bugs - manual resize now works; fixed a rogue parameter concatenation typo, added color attributes to the rest of the widgets.
- (12/4/98) 0.85: squashed some 0.82 bugs, added environment variablename completion and tilde/environment variable expansion in execution
- (12/2/98) 0.82: cursor at end of line after filename
disambiguation, added ESC to quit keybindings, turned Control-c into
context-specific cancel instead of quit, squashed startup w/o history
bug, switch to turn off the verbose label (it started annoying me),
new verbose highlightcolor to indicate verbose is active in case you
run tkRunIt without a titlebar like I do +w, ++wait, +p, ++persistant
for turning off the related values, -l, --location for position
geometry (the tcl interpreter steals -g, --geometry unless you use
--), pipes can now be used without surrounding spaces, wildcard
command execution courtesy of ToyKeeper, multiple command execution
with semicolons, cd now handled as an internal command as in a shell
- (11/29/98) 0.80: internals reworked to ease
maintenance and reduce side effects. Initial substring insertion for
ambiguous file completion now active! Hopefully better behaved
widgets. Command output widget no longer editable, but still
selectable. Multiple file selection in the file completion listbox via
the keyboard. !!! for history listing, history size now enforced at
- (11/28/98) 0.77: Sorted listbox contents, embedded
spaces properly handled in filename completion.
- (11/25/98) 0.76: C-n, C-p now work in the listbox,
multiple selection in the listbox including C-a for
select-all. oops. scrollable text box replaced overloaded message box
for command output. Sizes configurable.
- (11/24/98) 0.75 fixes some aesthetic problems with
0.70 and adds more configurability and keymappings.
- Tcl/Tk 8.0 or newer
- Reportedly works under Windows 98. Ought to be far
more sophisticated in many respects then the regular ol' dos shell. ;-)
- I've been told it dumps core under tcl/tk 8.1 on Solaris, but it works fine under 8.0 on mine at work
Please send bug reports or feature requests directly to the author,
Ethan Gold, <etgold at thaumaturgy dot net>
last modified 2/16/99